Garbage disposal repair doesn’t have to be daunting.
Do you ever experience mysterious odors coming from your kitchen sink or a lack of proper drainage when washing dishes? It may be time to look into what lies beneath the surface – yes, we’re talking about your trusty kitchen garbage disposal. Taking care of this under-the-sink appliance will make post-meal cleanups much more bearable. It can also help prevent other plumbing issues—which can easily be a homeowner’s (or apartment dweller’s) worst nightmare! In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to clean, maintain and repair your garbage disposal like a pro, so follow along with us!
Cleaning Your Garbage Disposal
The garbage disposal is one of the most used kitchen appliances, so it’s important that you keep it clean to prevent clogs and odors. Cleaning it after mealtimes is essential, but you should also give it a deep clean every once in a while.
Daily Garbage Disposal Cleaning
The garbage disposal should be rinsed every day. Simply pour a few tablespoons of baking soda into the appliance and let it sit for 10 minutes before pouring boiling water down the drain to flush out any residue or bacteria. Alternatively, you can also just run the garbage disposal while running cold water down the drain – this will help to flush away anything that wasn’t completely ground up.
Once a Week Deep-Cleaning
For a more thorough garbage disposal cleaning, pour a quarter cup of baking soda down the drain and follow it with half a cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes before pouring boiling water down the drain to flush out any residue or bacteria. You can also use commercial garbage disposer cleaning products according to the directions on the bottle.
Another popular – and natural – garbage disposal cleaning method is to grind up citrus peels, ice, and salt. This combination will help to remove any gunk stuck on the garbage disposal blades and freshen it up.
Maintaining Your Garbage Disposal
Now that your garbage disposal is clean, let’s talk about how you can keep it operating in tip-top shape. Proper maintenance is key when it comes to garbage disposal repair. Here are some garbage disposal hacks to help you out:
- Use cold water while running the garbage disposal. This will help keep grease and oils from congealing.
- Never pour fats, oils, or greases down the garbage disposal – they can solidify on the blades and cause clogs. (Pour them into the garbage instead!)
- Grind only small amounts of food waste at a time.
- Use ice cubes to sharpen and clean the garbage disposal blades.
- Run the garbage disposal regularly – even when you don’t have food waste – as this will help keep it running smoothly and prevent corrosion of the blades.
Garbage Disposal Repair
If your garbage disposal stops working, don’t panic! There are several garbage disposal repair methods you can try before calling in a plumber.
- First, make sure the garbage disposal is properly plugged into the outlet and that the switch on the wall is flipped to the “on” position.
- If your garbage disposal still won’t turn on, it could be due to a jammed garbage disposal blade. To fix this, insert an Allen wrench in the garbage disposal opening and turn it back and forth until the blades are free again.
- If that doesn’t work, you can try resetting the garbage disposal. To do this, unplug the garbage disposal from the outlet or switch off its circuit breaker, wait 10 seconds, and then switch it back on.
- If none of these garbage disposal repair methods work, it may be time to call in a professional plumber for help.
Whether you’re dealing with garbage disposal repair or just trying to keep your garbage disposal running smoothly, we hope these tips will help!
If you have any questions about your garbage disposal or need to schedule repair services, give us a call today!
Shepherd’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. provides quality and honest solutions for your plumbing and HVAC needs – big or small. We’re equipped to handle anything from installations to intensive repairs with a high level of quality and care.